Profile

Hi, I'm Jia Zhe. This is my blog where I post little snippets of my life, fanfiction and orginal works. I've also recently taken to writing a lot about Kung Fu Panda and its characters. Enjoy. But only if you really want to.


Links

An Hua
Clarence
Ruth
Quadrivial Quandary
Poetry Daily
The Online Citizen
Yawning Bread
Singapore Notes



Shout!



Archives

January 2007
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012

Auckland

12:31, Wednesday, 7 January 2009

Auckland
The automated doors slide open soundlessly, admitting a small party into Terminal 2 of Changi Airport. The sky is nebulous and frowns down upon all of us, heightening chances of plane delay. Certainly for once the moodiness of the sky is accompanied by the chilly breeze blowing in through the doors, and is then quickly smothered by the air-conditioning. The Qantas flight would first stop in Sydney Airport and then a connecting flight would then head to Auckland.

I shivered in the draft of cold air passing over me, raising goosebumps and hair all over my flesh. It would be summer in Auckland, but a certain bugging feeling told me that there would be not much of a temperature difference between the inside of the airport terminal and the natural environment in New Zealand. Tourists fidget uncomfortably in their hard seats, probably moodily awaiting their flight a few hours away. I could not help but smile, thinking that it would be two weeks before I would see this place again, but it would surely all pass in a heartbeat.
The sky was now overcast with clouds streaking gray and blue lines into the retreating sun, indicating torrid weather ahead.
.
It wasn't that I was afraid of flying that I sat with slight trepidation in my seat. There was a subtle solemness hanging in the air amidst the hustle and bustle of people shoving their bulky baggage into the overhead compartments and chattering excitedly about their undoubtedly fascinating holiday. The couple in front had a bubbly infant grinning at his mother, surely unawares of wherever he was going and whatever he would be doing. It was with the captain's warning that the engines suddenly sprang to life, and the cabin lurched forwards. I stared out the windows into the murky night, where the terminal was clearly visible, all passengers now only seen as crude stick figures.
The darkness pressed on my eyes like an opaque veil, only lifted when the cabin lights turned on. Sure enough, the baby in front was now attempting to scream not only his head off, but the other passengers' heads as well. Though it was obviously second nature of babies to behave in such a manner, it so happened that I was not in a very reasonable mood at the moment. I plugged my ears and squeezed my eyes closed, trying my best to shut off the bawling and shrieking while silently willing for the baby to cease its squalling and crying, until blissful sleep finally carried me off.
.
A hallowed fog had wrapped itself around Sydney like a thick, impenetrable armour. The clouds rolled by lazily, reflecting my mood in the shadowy sky. The city infrastructure closely resembled that of Singapore, with the exception of wide open spaces and the blue, majestic ocean, stretching for as far as the eye could follow. Soon, it was time to leave.
.
I stepped out of Auckland International Airport and the sun immediately glared into my eyes. I blinked, caught completely off guard by the ferocity of the sun in such a southern country. Only what could have been milliseconds later, a cooling, natural breeze blew through my hair and glanced off my face. I ran my fingers over where the wind had touched me, an experience I had never felt before in hot, humid Singapore. The temperature was 21 degrees Centigrade in the afternoon, but the City was blessed with a playful wind that took glee in running past every few seconds.
.
The wind in Auckland was nothing like I have ever felt in my entire life. Outside in wide open areas, the wind is fickle; sometimes it is a pleasant draft, others it may hit you a little stronger, blowing into your jacket as though it was a screen door. Nature at its best. The wind's nature, however, changes dramatically while you're inside a car driving at 80 kilometres per hour. The wind hits you full force in the face like a brick wall, rushing into your nostrils, stunning your breathing reflex and makes you gasp for breath in surprise. It also takes pleasure in whistling loudly in your eardrums, blocking off your sister's protests to shut the window immediately. Spit applied hastily to the lips evaporates instantly in the gust; without that transparent barrier the lips are most prone to chapping. It is an exhilarating feeling, however; you feel as though the wind is blowing all your troubles away, never to come back again.
From the inside of a car, on a highway, the city of Auckland does not really differ from that of Singapore and Malaysia. Road signs pave junctions and few cars speed by. And for a moment, it feels as though you are back home. Then, you open the window and a mixture of exhaust fumes, gasoline and the strong breeze hits you in the face to remind you of where you really are.




Web layout by JinxieJinx©. Fonts by dafont.com and 1001freefonts.com. Stock image by Maria Li @ stock.xchng. Snow script by Rainbow Arch Scripts. No redistribution allowed. Copyright © 2009 by Jinxie's Layouts. All rights reserved.