Is there any place on Earth than smells better than a Laundromat? It's like a rainy Sunday when you don't have to get out from under your covers, or like lying back on the grass your father's just mowed - comfort food for your nose. When I was little my mom would take hot clothes out of the dryer and dump them on top of me where I was sitting on the couch. I used to pretend they were a single skin, that I was curled tight beneath them like one large heart.
The other thing I like is that Laundromats draw lonely people like metal to magnets. There's a guy passed out on a bank of chairs in the back, with army boots and a T-shirt that says Nostradamus Was an Optimist. A woman at the folding table sifts through a heap of men's button-down shirts, sniffing back tears. Put ten people in a Laundromat and chances are you won't be the one who's worst off.
-My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
.
I wish there were Laundromats in Singapore, but no, we only have those drop-off laundry services who do the washing, dry-cleaning or drying for you.
Its during days like this when I wish I could go to a Laundromat.