Jodi Picoult's 'The Pact' is one of the better books I've read in a long time; she actually has a talent for developing story lines at a pace that's easy to follow, detailed enough to please and not fast enough that its excruciating. And she does it all without using those ridiculous techniques that some people just don't get enough of (hint hint).
In fact, I don't really recall ever reading such a book that describes emotions using metaphors that sound so simple, yet so effective.I also notice that Mrs. Picoult has a certain affinity writing about court scenes; there's literally one in each book of hers, go read them, it's true! Not that it is a bad thing, it brings an unfamiliar element to the book that is unique only to her style of writing. No excruciatingly bombastic words either.
Another uncommon element I noted is the unusual melodramatic plot devices that involve certain 'ardent' points of interest (no more will be said here as it is an NC-16 blog post), but no worries, if you read her books you will find out exactly what I mean.
.
It was really cold in the classroom today, the wind was very chilly as well. It was really the only time I could recall this sensation of being cold all over because of the weather, not by an artificial cooling system. So I was closing my eyes slightly and thinking about the last vacation I had, then Fiona thought I was falling asleep, which snapped me back to reality and ruining my long overdue fantasy.
On another note, I have finally turned sixteen years of age! My birthday cake was allegedly some cheesecake with Oreo bits in the sponge, but I hardly tasted it; I can't stomach cake very well, all the frosting and whipped cream is enough to make me sick.
Anyways, as I am typing now there is this crane at the bottom of the building I live in doing some construction work at 9.45pm at night(can't imagine why) and all its exhaust fumes are percolating upwards and into my room, so now the room has this stench of the trademark Singapore gasoline perfume.
If I die of carbon monoxide poisoning, is it a good enough excuse for missing school tomorrow?
Along with my birthday comes the unexpected yet pleasant discovery of the joys of playing Defence of The Ancients (couldn't have come at a worse time, in my opinion). Strangely, mindless killing has never been more fun. I also discovered that Ruth also peruses the Fail Blog. Finally, somebody with a taste for good, unspoiled humour in the class. And finally, I am considering becoming an atheist. So, not too bad for my sixteenth birthday.
Tagboard is still gathering dust, so I see.