Profile

Hi, I'm Jia Zhe. This is my blog where I post little snippets of my life, fanfiction and orginal works. I've also recently taken to writing a lot about Kung Fu Panda and its characters. Enjoy. But only if you really want to.


Links

An Hua
Clarence
Ruth
Quadrivial Quandary
Poetry Daily
The Online Citizen
Yawning Bread
Singapore Notes



Shout!



Archives

January 2007
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012


00:44, Wednesday, 6 January 2010

After more than a month of being a comatose couch potato, I suppose it's time for me to launch into some cathartic rant about what I hate most about nearly every show I've watched on TV since November.

1. 911 calls

When you watch some thriller/slasher movie with the deranged serial killer and the frightened, fleeing victim in the chase scene, the latter manages to gain a few seconds respite to call up the authorities for help. The phone rings for a painfully slow thirty seconds before the operator/police dispatch officer picks up and coolly says, "911 emergency. Please hold."

What? Did I hear that right?

This makes the show look inane in so many ways unimaginable because since when do you need to hold for EMERGENCY lines? If it's an emergency number, it doesn't make any sense for the operator to put you on hold! So connecting someone's pizza order takes more priority over an emergency situation? I don't think so.

2. Laugh Tracks

This is another reason why I hate the Disney Channel so much. The character on the show says something as mediocre as "I hate school" and the "synthetic audience" laughs as if they just heard the funniest joke in the world.

The probable concept behind laugh tracks is that laughter is contagious. So, artificial laughter should work as well, right? Not when you turn it on at everything the actors say or do; it becomes downright annoying. Come on, it's that simple: If they get the joke and laugh at home then good, if they don't get your feeble attempt at humour then never mind, there are still more lame jokes to come. Why import canned laughter?

3. Awful advertisements

I thought advertisements were supposed to make viewers want to buy their product, not swear off it forever. I cannot stand, at all, ads for toothpaste. Yes, I'm looking at you, Colgate. I'll bet every one reading this has seen the ad for Colgate Total, and have rolled their eyes or hit the mute button immediately. Everything about that advertisement is terrible: From the start with a dentist on the street with nothing better to do, a machine that detects bacteria and displays it on a screen down to their exaggerated intonations of surprise and marvel. Wow, it really works! This sounds soo fake!

Continuously repeating advertisements also become more and more annoying every time you hear them. The Heineken one has been playing for months; it's high time they thought of another witty idea because the old one is getting plain irritating to watch. (I admit it was novel when it first came out, but seriously, the idea of men freaking out over something is becoming less and less of a societal taboo.)

4. Promotions

You know a show is going to suck when weeks before the premier they try to pull off some 'watch-and-win' stunt. So, if I watch your show and spot the super-secret code word, I get a free vacation/car/camera/(insert expensive prize here)?

Come on. Don't you think people have better things to do? This cannot and will not boost viewership or ratings; it is not indicative of anything else but the fact that the show is going to bomb within a few weeks of airing.

5. I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here!

First of all, no, you're not. Second, there's the door.

6. So You Think You Can Dance?

No.

Okay, but I hate shows like this because they're either really good or no good at all; it's easy to see who has the most talent, but you know they'll probably never win. This is also a pretty good rule-of-thumb to apply to other certain related shows...(cough, cough, Idol, cough)

7. TV movies

See Disney Channel Original Movies. They always manage to churn out movie after movie after movie that all usually have the same set of cheesy morals and underlying meanings; it doesn't really take much brainpower to think up histrionic, cliched, overdone story lines.

.

Looks like the catharsis ended. All right, maybe more will be up as I go and vegetate some more in front of the television.




Web layout by JinxieJinx©. Fonts by dafont.com and 1001freefonts.com. Stock image by Maria Li @ stock.xchng. Snow script by Rainbow Arch Scripts. No redistribution allowed. Copyright © 2009 by Jinxie's Layouts. All rights reserved.