Here's a hint: If you're ever riffling through newspapers looking for articles related to General Paper topics, pick any newspaper except Home. I don't even know why I try or why I'm surprised - what can you expect, really? The China Daily actually prints articles that people may actually read because they want to; heck, even The Straits Times gets the sense to print one every now and then. Without even mentioning the advertisements that inundate its pages (no, I would not like to know that Guardian is having a sale nor that your newest hair-fall control product is new and improved, thank you very much), most articles sport mediocre vocabulary at best and have the most inane topics - I'm talking about reading about the sad state of water coolers in school, updates on the latest charity event and then turning over the page to find out that a new Human Resources training firm has just opened up. Tell me, who really wants to read that kind of stuff? Let me answer that rhetorical question: Nobody.
So anyway, I should probably talk a little bit more about school. The library is probably the only sane place left on campus, but the problem is my timetable really does not permit a stay longer that half an hour. It's a shame, too - I just uncovered the library's stash of books by D.H. Lawrence, not to mention the numerous copies of Newsweek and The Economist. And did you know that Hugh Laurie actually authored a novel called The Gun Seller? No? Well, neither did I.
Alfian Sa'at is amazing. He has a blog where he posts interesting snippets on life, giggle-worthy stories that raise eyebrows and criticism on the government. What's there not to like about him? http://www.blurty.com/users/sleepless77/