So, just for fun, I decided to count how many pages in The Straits Times (April 2nd) are dedicated to articles and how many are unwanted advertising space. The final count? (Including the cover page and last page)
Advertisements - 32. Articles - 9.
Says a lot, doesn't it?
.
I wouldn't really consider myself a proselyte, because firstly agnosticism isn't a religion and secondly I never really accepted the Christian faith. I was into it for a brief period - the praying thing and going to church - but something broke down along the way. I'm not going to say that I'm agnostic because "I'm a logical person", which is just completely ostentatious and a sad way of praising yourself. It's more like I can't really be bothered with religion, but with good reason.
Yesterday, I went to watch an Easter musical at my friend's church (I went only because she was performing in it) and at the end of the musical, a pastor came up and gave the inevitable miniature sermon inviting non-believers to accept Christianity. I didn't have a problem with that, first of all. What I did have a problem with were his methods - he basically pointed out humanity's flaws and recited a few quotations from the Bible, then "thus Christianity can absolve us of sin".
It's a tautological argument, a carousel ride: God exists because the Bible says so, the Bible says so because God wrote it. Now here I'm not saying that there isn't proof of God's existence, I concede that there are several good ones but what I'm saying is that this is the reason why The Flying Spaghetti Monster and Russell's Teapot were created - the lack of cognitive argument. Circular logic does not prove anything, reasoning does. But no, he tries to get me to believe a source that is extremely difficult to prove true, if not impossible.