This might be just me, but when someone says a prayer out loud, why isn't it ever in their normal voice? Most of the time it's higher than usual, detached and unnatural. An airy, somewhat condescending tone, underneath the diction lies the message of 'holier-than-thou'.
Yesterday, during Chapel, the pastor went up to the podium as usual and started the 'mass prayer'. Usually I just ignore it - I ignore the Chapel as a whole, as a matter of fact, ever since the Twilight reference - but then came a part that made me raise my eyebrows and smile in amusement. She started praying for 'God to help those in Thailand' and to 'give strength to scientists as they monitor the ash clouds over Iceland', hoping that 'they would clear up by His power'.
My immediate thought was "Why did He allow it to happen in the first place, then?"
.
Friday is definitely the best day of the week for me. The second half, actually, since in the morning there's forty minutes of hell to go through. Apart from the fact that it ushers in the weekend (which undoubtedly accounts for half of the reason I love it so much), after class dismisses I can take a train down to West Mall to grab dinner at Subway. I actually like it better when there are more people queuing in front of me; it's funny to count how many times the words 'chipotle', 'mayonnaise', 'lettuce' and 'parmesan oregano' are mispronounced.
Last Friday I stopped at Popular and got 'The Road' by Cormac Mccarthy. I think he's a brilliant writer, even if I've only made it through a mere fraction of the book. I'm not ashamed to say that I have had to reach for a dictionary more than once within the first few pages; he's just that good.
'Sesquipedalian' is an awesome word. Where has it been my whole life?