Profile

Hi, I'm Jia Zhe. This is my blog where I post little snippets of my life, fanfiction and orginal works. I've also recently taken to writing a lot about Kung Fu Panda and its characters. Enjoy. But only if you really want to.


Links

An Hua
Clarence
Ruth
Quadrivial Quandary
Poetry Daily
The Online Citizen
Yawning Bread
Singapore Notes



Shout!



Archives

January 2007
March 2008
April 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
July 2010
August 2010
September 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011
March 2011
April 2011
May 2011
June 2011
July 2011
August 2011
September 2011
October 2011
November 2011
December 2011
January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012


11:55, Tuesday, 11 May 2010

Title: All I Ever Wanted

Fandom: Meet The Robinsons

It is dark outside, and raining, just like that night twelve years ago. (He wouldn’t have known this if Mildred had never told him.)

Two figures in the room lie in the fluorescence of the light flickering overhead; one is surely asleep, snoring in a manner that did not fit his minute figure, the other remains motionless but his eyes are wide open.

Lewis could never explain it, but he was always stricken with this mysterious insomnia whenever it rained at night. He would awaken immediately at the first thunderbolt flashing across the velvet night sky, and stay awake until the rains abated.

He never told anyone, but lately he had been having nightmares where he’s falling, falling, and he can’t see where to.
.

In those sleepless hours, he would think of his mother. What she looked like – did she have blond hair like he did or dark black hair like those women in Peter Stimpon’s Penthouse? How she dressed – he fantasized her in a periwinkle-blue night gown telling him stories at night, of beanstalks and fairy dust. Whether she smelled like oranges or apples or vanilla or whatever perfume makers decided smelled good on a woman.

He wondered, at times, if he had ever accidentally bumped into her. Last Thursday, when he was at the grocery store, could she have been the one behind the counter who handed him his change, smiled and wished him good day? Maybe she was sitting two seats behind him on the bus, and when he alighted their eyes could have met for a second or so. They could have even spoken to each other on the phone before. No, I’m sorry; you must have dialled the wrong number. It’s funny to think of the many times they had crossed paths, and still not known what they were missing.

Goob rolls over and yawns widely. He notices Lewis, sitting on his bed, staring out the window into the murkiness of the night.

“Lewis? What’re you looking at?” he mumbles drowsily.

Lewis thinks for a while as he gazes at the raindrops speckling the pane, blemishes on his reflected face. Every second a new stripe, a new comma, parentheses. He no longer saw himself, merely a fractured soul.

“The same thing,” he replies quietly, but Goob has already fallen asleep.

.

A letter

Dear Mom,

Do you know that in third grade, I topped the class in Science and they didn’t have to reserve seats at the awards ceremony for the proud parents?

Do you know that every year, all my friends make cards and gift baskets and bath salts on Mother’s Day but I never have to?

Do you know that once in Art class we were told to sketch a portrait of our mothers and I drew Mildred instead?

Do you know that many times, I wished I could die so I could see you again?

There’s a lot about that night that I can’t remember, but there’s so much else I can’t forget.

All my life, I wanted a mother who wanted me. When we met you would be still for a full minute, unbelieving that I was standing in front of you. Then you would fold me into your arms and sob, apologising over and over again about ever leaving, promising it would never happen again. I wouldn’t be truly listening, honestly, because words can only describe so much. I would be noticing other things; how we clasped hands and mine fit seamlessly into yours, how I could smell familiarity in the nape of your neck. All I ever wanted was a mother who loved me so much that she would only leave me, screaming and thrashing, unwilling to live if it meant living without me.

Maybe you’re sorry about leaving, maybe you’re not. Either way, I just don’t know if it’s good enough.

*

I should be more specific when I say I don't like Disney; no one truly hates Disney, after all. That would be saying I hate all the amazing movies they produced during the Renaissance Period with their meaningful, lyrical songs. That would also be saying I hate Up and Cars and Meet The Robinsons, which isn't true since they really are good.

So what do I really detest? Mostly anything that isn't produced by Pixar or before 2002, which of course includes DCOM, stupid laughtrack-laden sitcoms and cartoons and films by (urgh!) Disneytoon Studios. I hope that clears things up.




Web layout by JinxieJinx©. Fonts by dafont.com and 1001freefonts.com. Stock image by Maria Li @ stock.xchng. Snow script by Rainbow Arch Scripts. No redistribution allowed. Copyright © 2009 by Jinxie's Layouts. All rights reserved.