I went to The Rocky Horror Show at the Esplanade Theatre last night and it was, in one word, brilliant. I'm not too sure what it is about the show in general, but somehow the absurdity of the story and concept was very, very enjoyable. A recently engaged couple, Brad Majors and Janet Weiss, are stranded in the forest after their car breaks down and are forced to seek help in a nearby decrepit castle. There they encounter a potpourri of wacky people - hunchbacked butler/Gollum Riff-Raff, the high-pitched (groupie) Columbia, transvestite scientist Dr. Frank N. Furter - who seem completely out of this world. Hilarity ensues.
The songs used didn't have the sort of memorable quality other musical songs have - Time Warp is the exception, but for other reasons. Perhaps it had something to do with the fact that half the time I couldn't decipher what they were singing; they didn't really need to use microphones. It was just so loud that I couldn't really hear (weird but true).
Highlight of the show - the bedroom scene(s) in the opening of Act 2 and the ending performance of Time Warp. Here is the only instance where I actually believe that a dance outro works - I can't remember how many times I've switched channels prematurely to avoid the cheesy dance outro at the end of any movie/cartoon/television show. Definitely a must-see if they stop using microphones.